Sunday, August 12, 2007

heresy

A definition of heresy is "It's not that something isn't true, it's just not THAT true." Here's some things that fit this definition of heresy for me tonight.
1. The church is what it's all about.
Well, I love the church and it is indeed a source of inspiration in many beautiful ways, but there is also your job, family, continued learning, poetry, compassion, and tonight's meteor shower.
2. Suffering is bad.
Well, it is a drag, but so many good things come out of it like the caring of others, hope and trust in God, and the joy of coming out on the other side.
3. Death is something I'm scared of.
Well, for sure that has been the case for a long time, but as I recently read an amazing "near death" account it has opened up at least a little bit of an understanding of just how the adventure of "living" might continue after this particular earth existence. I shall continue to explore and ponder.
4.That so and so will always be the same and never change.
Yeah, that does indeed happen, but I also choose to believe in the existence of the possible transformation in people and institutions. That God and the universe can line up just right with our hope-full-ness and rattle someone or something into a new creation.
5. Brian McLaren is the answer to the world's problems.
Uh, I don't think so, but he has been my mentor for quite awhile(along with Marcus Borg) and he's coming to Goshen IN something like May 9th and 10th and I would like some of us to read his newest book, go to the event together, eat and drink and take walks, and see what kingdom action comes out of it.
6. The hokey pokey is what it's all about.
OK,this one's true.

No comments: