Thursday, August 09, 2007

2 Intriguing Books

Just a heads up and maybe a late heads up on some books that I am reading / have finished up this week. I am reading 2+ books a week now - I am kinda in a "groove". Anyways, here are the books:

Mark Driscoll: Confession of a Reformission Rev: Hard Lessons From An Emerging Missional Church.

I may disagree with some of his theology and may not approve of his in-your-face-approach HOWEVER, it is a very good book on his life and how he and the church has grown. Two of the things that I enjoyed about the book is his authentic approach and the reflection questions at the end of each chapter. I think churches across the board need to be examining themselves and asking those questions.

They Like Jesus But Not The Church by Dan Kimball.

It is a phrase that I am hearing alot lately and Dan took the topic and produced it into a book. I first heard the phrase in 1991 by some inner-city kids that I was playing some b-ball with.

Anyways, I think he does the book great justice and divides the book up into the why / what / how.

These are two books that I would recommend for reading. HOWEVER, you may want to throw Mark's book out the window (or worse) a few times because of his different interpretation than most stances here ( from a theology standpoint )




5 comments:

Craig LaSuer said...

Jeff,

What would you say the basic point of the second book is?

Thoughts From Jeff said...

His premise is that the emerging generation loves Jesus and is very willing to listen about Jesus and maybe even follow his example .. HOWEVER, they have a disdain for Christians and the Church.

He journeys us through to help us understand them better and how we can get out an engage with them.

Craig LaSuer said...

I wonder if they are not the future and that with them we can begin to create new forms of community that will assist us in living the Jesus Way.

Craig LaSuer said...

Also, as I think about it, out of the many Jesus characteristics that Joy and I have been pondering, being in community is only one of them. I believe we have often made "it" about the church when actually "it" is about people becoming more Christ like.

Thoughts From Jeff said...

I think that you are right that we have made it about the church way too much and our focus has been very lost.

I think it is vital for us to see how we can create communities that will assist people to live Jesus Way.

HOWEVER, I do not see that occur and as Dan say, " 40 - 50 years down the road; it is a real possibility that the mega churches will only be having tours ...

aka ENGLAND