Friday, August 25, 2006

Resonance

During the Sunday School hour, I've lately been wandering from classroom to classroom trying to find my niche after my favorite short crazy holy man followed God's call to Marion. I landed in a class that was just beginning to explore the "authenticity" of the New Testament. Seemed like an opportunity to stir up some trouble.

We watched a clip from a video. The speaker was setting up his premise and it seemed kind of OK - until he said something about inerrancy. I thought, "Oh boy here we go." The class leader turned off the video and opened the floor for discussion.

I waited a beat and no one spoke. I took a deep breath and started.

I spoke about the historical-metaphorical approach to Bible studies, first-century Jewish culture and oral traditions, and the difference between truth and fact. I thought I'd said way too much so I stopped and waited for someone else to say something.

Those who did speak up tended to agree with me. One person commented that she always wondered how the gospel writers could remember the exact words Jesus said. Others agreed. I was somewhat surprised (or maybe I shouldn't be) that there are others out there with questions. but are afraid to question.

The second session of the series wasn't as bad as I thought it might be, unless you want to get into an arguement on which gospel was written first and when. My reaction is generally - who cares? If you get all the Bible scholars in a room I think they would almost to a person agree that the New Testament was written during the first century. What else really matters after that?

I think I've found a Sunday School home - but I still miss the short crazy holy man.

No comments: