Friday, November 30, 2007

Jesus by Marcus Borg

I finally finished Borg's book on Jesus! Besides not having the time to read as much as I would like, I have to take my time when I read Borg. I find that I re-read sections in order to fully understand Borg's message, and sometimes I find that Borg's writing causes me to really think about my faith and my relationship to Jesus. So I read section, re-read it, and think about it. That takes some time!

Anyway.... I don't always agree with Borg but there is a lot I am in agreement with him. Sometimes I find it amusing. Several times in the book he writes of the literal vs. metaphorical interpretion of the Bible, then says, "But who cares! Let's talk about what the Bible is trying to teach us!" Christians really need to get beyond trying to "prove" the Bible and start living it; get beyond doctrine and start practicing the Jesus Way.

The best chapter of the book is the epilogue. Borg describes the current state of Christianity perfectly. Without criticizing, he has a good grasp of conservative evangelical Christianity and the emerging Christian conversation. It's obvious Borg prefers the latter, and he lays any blame for the current state of what the public perceives as Christianity at the feet of the current crop of self-appointed evangelical Christian "leaders" who dominate the public forum. Christianity has lost its way, Borg says, due in a large part to the unholy alliance with politics.

My Sunday school class is reading Isaiah. Last Sunday we read the first chapter. Isaiah is laying out the charges against the Jewish people. He says that God is not interested in their sacrifices, rituals and offerings as prescribed by the Law. Even though Isaiah compares the Jewish people to Sodom and Gommorah, it's not sexual sin that has led them astray, but their lack of social justice. In verses 16 and 17, Isaiah lays out the charges.
16 Wash and make yourselves clean. Take your evil deeds out of my sight! Stop doing wrong, 17 learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. (NIV)

That sums up how Borg interprets the message of Jesus throughout the book, and it is a call to all Christians to assess their faith and begin living the Jesus Way.

1 comment:

Craig LaSuer said...

Amen and Amen Thomas! Ah, The Jesus Way. That Way of living life ...his Way of living life, loving God and loving others has been salvation and shalom for me.