Friday, December 01, 2006

Incarnation(entering the world) of Bob

I was spending some time in the Marion Starbucks. There were three folks who were training and getting prepared to operate the new Starbucks that's opening on the corner of 22 and 69. One of them went outside for a smoke just as I was leaving and heading for my car. I decided to make some human contact happen with him.

His name is Bob. He and his wife just moved from Dayton , because she just got a job here as a repoter for the local newspaper. Bob told me that there's not many jobs to be found in this area. We talked a little about living in this rural part of Indiana....a little isolated but beautiful. We talked a little about church. I told Bob about the other coffee shop near the new Starbucks called Paynes. He says he's heard it's a nice place. It is. But I'll probably go buy a cup of coffee from Bob too. Bob went back in to train for his new job. I headed for my car to go to work.

2 comments:

Tom McCool said...

Aren't random interactions wonderful? I had one recently at Quizno's with someone I had known in high school and a few years after. He certainly recognized me, but I didn't recognize him even though his nametag said "Mike." Not until he reminded me of the nickname he had back then, did I remember who he was.

I got my sub and sat down. In a few minutes, Mike left the counter and came to my table. He told me that he was living at Trinity Mission, that he had recently got off drugs, and he had found Christ and was trying to put his life back together. I asked him if he knew Steve Deardurff and of course he knew Steve, and I told Mike that Steve attended my church and is a friend of mine. I admitted to Mike that I too had struggled with drugs into adulthood until I had reached a point in my life where I had no place else to go except back to the Lord. Seems Mike is in the same place now too.

Now I have a new favorite restaurant. I haven't seen Mike there again, but if God has any plans for me in this area, I pray that he reveals them to me.

Craig LaSuer said...

Thomas,
maybe you're to volunteer every once in a while at Trinity Mission. First, you've been learning about the causes of poverty and then this interaction with Mike. Who knows...maybe not. Just wondering out loud and on-line. But I admire your search wherever it leads!