Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Lydia's Experience of Salvation

"And the preachers be so wrapped up in the glories of that next world," Lydia went on, looking into the dying fire, speaking to herself as well as to her sister, "that they're missing half the glory of this world. I can't believe the Lord meant us to be heavyhearted every minute here when He made so much to lift our hearts...Katy, am I wicked for such talk?"
The younger girl shrugged.
"The words I remember from the Bible mostly, they're about the waters of life and I think about my spring out here, bubbling up pure and plentiful-and about losing your life to save it. I believe I know what that means, Katy. I know it true. It means to lose your littleness in bigness, your own self into the all of living."
"Why I reckon so Lydia."
"That's not the salvation the preachers talk about, Kate." They sat silent while the hot coals in the fireplace crumbled to ashes. "But it's the only salvation I've ever had any true experience of," Lydia said.

(from The Tall Woman)

3 comments:

tysdaddy said...

Looks like an interesting book. Could you give us your thoughts about what makes the book special? Why should we read it?

Nice blog, Craig. I'll be back . . .

Craig LaSuer said...

The book is good fiction. I need that in my life. It's about a woman of great strength living in tough circumstances which inspires me. It is very well written. And there are little pearls in it like my last post reveals.

tysdaddy said...

Thanks for your reply, Craig. I may have to see if my library has this on the shelves.

Peace to you . . .

Brian