Monday, September 24, 2007

Giving Ones Life

I am watching The War by Ken Burns this week. Amazing. I can hardly fathom the numbers of how many people were killed in WW II. Many, many millions! Ghandi seemed to believe that we could have stopped the AXIS power in another manner, and I pray we might learn that way. But so many humans did only what they knew to do and fought, suffered, and gave their lives to stop men like Hitler. It was our parents, grandparents, and neighbors who took up the struggle.

This story, their stories, do nothing but inspire me. Words like discipline, sacrifice, courage, duty, purpose, and desiring to make the world a better place...come into mind...and hopefully my life.

I know that in the kingdom of God there should be no war. But allowing millions of Jews, Gays, and those who were considered "less than human" to be hurt or exterminated cannot be tolerated. I do not stand in judgement of the Germans and Japanese for we Americans have done the same thing.

I have hope that you and I, the generation at hand, might also know what kingdom purposes we are called to give our time, energy, passion and lives for.

No comments: