Sunday, July 22, 2007

Skin Story

17 years old. Because of a skin disorder, I had been scratching and wounding my skin for all of those years. The skin was very damaged now, seeping some kind of substance, and not healing. I had zero self worth. I wasn't studying. I had produced a child that we put up for adoption. I was fast on my way to many years of full addiction. I am sitting in a large food pantry with the lights off. And I am sitting in front of a freezer because it generated heat from the bottom of the appliance. I sat in front of heaters a lot because my fragile skin often left me cold. This place was my sanctuary. Alone, hiding from people and life, and staying warm.

I'm now 53. Many years have passed and many horrors, wonderful healing blessings, and adventures have taken place with my skin. And now, for the first time in my life, I consider my skin a friend and not an enemy. And when it becomes agitated, absolutely nothing like it was in the past, I treat the miraculous substance that covers my body with love, respect, patience, and understanding.

Such is the Kingdom of God.

2 comments:

J.S.Foster said...

I just found your blog. I enjoy reading it. May I link it on my blog?

Joann Kaiser

Craig LaSuer said...

For sure.
Thanks Joann.