Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Path I Choose

I have been a district superintendent for 2 years and 4 months now.
(Not that I'm counting!)
It has been a blessing.
But I have often shared with my colleagues that I have missed having a close community. I do have community, but not to the extent I did in the local church.
(By the way, sometimes you can have too much community...but not enough isn't good either.)
I finally figured out that what I truly miss in the local Jesus community is
all the ways I was able to stay connected to the God of my life and the God of The Story we find ourselves in.
I stayed connected through small groups like the men's group, the Bible studies, seeking to preach God's Word each week, and worshiping with passion and creativity.
(I also miss being in mission with my church friends, but I am in mission with my new friends.)
So, I am now being more intentional about my faith development and relationship with the Lord.
I desire to pray more.
I am reading The Book of God by Walter Wangerin. (The Bible written beautifully in narrative form.)
I am doing these things because it is written that we are to love God with all our heart,mind, soul, and strength. And despite being one ordinary, ornery, and often sinful human, this is the path I choose.

2 comments:

Tom McCool said...

I've read his book on prayer. It's very good. Did you know he is a professor at Valparaiso?

Craig LaSuer said...

Yep. Michael Foland was in one of his writing classes and even helped, with some other students, edit Wangerin's book on Paul.