Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Barbarian Way

I've just finished reading The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus, which was also the basis for a sermon series at my church. McManus writes that the Christian church has become too civilized, and we must return to the barbarian way of John the Baptist and Jesus Christ. My favorite part of the book reads:

"Somehow Christianity has become a nonmystical religion. It's about a resonable faith. If we believe the right things, then we are orthodox. Frankly whether we ever actually connect to God or experience his undeniable presence has become incidental, if not irrelevant. We have become believers rather than experiencers. To know God in the Scriptures always went beyond information to intimacy. We may find ourselves uncomfortable with this reality, but the faith of the Scriptures is a mystical faith. It leads us beyond the material world into an invisible reality. We become connected to the God of eternity. Who you are at the core of the spirit. God is Spirit. To walk with God is to journey in the spiritual realm."

God, help me be not just a believer, but an experiencer. I've spent many years (maybe too many) reading the Bible, and reading and hearing what other people think and say about the Bible. I'm done with Believing, I want to Experience! I want to walk with You in the Spirit. Amen.

2 comments:

Craig LaSuer said...

Amen Tom. I myself have felt lately that something is missing in my life. I have felt not as close to God as I need to be. It is mainly because I am not pastoring a church which gave plenty of ongoing opportunities to connect to God. So just tonight Joy and I have begun a church in our home with just the two of us at this point....a church which assists us to love God, keep growing as a disciple, and be about the mission God calls us to. I believe that through this ongoing practice, it will bring us closer to God...so that we can love God with all our heart,mind, soul, and strength.

Craig LaSuer said...

I mean,it really is about experience. ..loving God.....loving "neighbor"...and loving self.