Friday, September 15, 2006

I Can Give My Heart To This

Some things:

* I have finished my book of collected poems. If you're interested, I'll send you one. What a joy for me to have about 7 years of my life captured in 78 poems. Fun.

* Tim and I are hosting an event on Wednesday Nov. 8th in Indy. We are wanting to bring together about 25 people to discuss McLaren's latest book The Secret Message of Jesus. It will take place during the day. If you're interested, let us know.

* Lastly, I have not been in the Bible at all lately. (Confession feels so good!) Being a District Superintendent does not force you to preach and teach scripture like being a local pastor does. But, I've been reading The Desire of the Everlasting Hills by Thomas Cahill. He wrote The Gift of the Jews and How the Irish Saved Civilization. Anyway, in the book he was talking about Luke's take on Jesus and he came to the scripture that you all know so well...and it goes like this.

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me
Because he has annointed me
To preach the good news to the poor
He has sent me to heal the brokenhearted
To proclaim liberty to the captives
And recovery of sight to the blind
To set at liberty those who are oppressed
To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.

This makes me cry. For I don't know what all religion and the church is about, but I can give my heart and life to this understading of the Jesus Movement.

I love you all.

2 comments:

Mark Gaylor said...

I'd love to be there on the 8th but can't get away from work that day. I also read your post where you mentioned UMerging; let me know how that goes, it sounds like a step in a good direction. How can I get your book?

Craig LaSuer said...

Mark,

I'll get a book to you.

Look forward to seeing you sometime.


Craig